Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Healthy Zucchini Bread [muffins] Recipe!

This blog post goes out to Manda who gave me this recipe. She is one of my dearest loves.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So my dear friend Manda gave me this recipe many years ago, and it's been my go-to.

I've been making it a lot recently [YAY AUTUMN] and nearly everyone who's had them asks for the recipe.

And it's not on pinterest.... until now [here's the link to the pin on pinterest!]!

I've changed it over the years to be "more healthy".

My changes:
Either half white & half whole wheat or just all whole wheat flour, subbed out raw honey for white sugar [no refined sugars woo!], substitute coconut oil [expeller or cold pressed] or sunflower oil [expeller or cold pressed] instead of canola.

I hear there are ways you can substitute something for eggs [to make it vegetarian friendly] as well as gluten free flours you could use if you're gluten intolerant.

So here goes!! Sorry I don't have a step-by-step tutorial. It's pretty straightforward aside from the groupings... but you'll see that below!

"Healthy Zucchini Bread [muffins] Recipe!"
[I've color coded the ingredients by their groupings. The groupings ARE specific because if you just throw everything in helter skelter (guilty) it won't turn out well.]

1 C. shredded raw zucchini
1/2 C. peeled, grated raw apple [I do sugar free applesauce]
1 1/2 C. flour [I do 3/4 cup white and 3/4 cup wheat, you could do totally wheat]
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 C. oil [I use coconut oil or sunflower oil. always COLD or EXPELLER pressed]
1 C. honey [raw preferred]
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C. chopped walnuts or pecans [optional, I've actually not yet done this

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan (or muffin pan).

-Grate zucchini; peel and grate the apple. Set aside.
-In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda/powder, salt, & spices. Set aside.
-Beat oil, honey, eggs, & vanilla until well blended.
-Beat in [to oil, honey, & eggs] zucchini & apple.
-Slowly add flour mixture, beating just until combined. 
-Stir in nuts (optional).
-Pour into pan, baking until bread has risen and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (50-60 min for loaf, 14-17 min for muffins)

They should look a bit like this and taste muy delicioso.


No comments:

Post a Comment